The edible Moringa tree:
- Immature seed pods, called "drumsticks"
- Mature seeds
- Oil pressed from seeds
Moringa leaves are an excellent source of many vitamins and minerals. One cup of fresh, chopped leaves (21 grams) contains:
- Protein: 2 grams
- Vitamin B6: 19% of the RDA
- Vitamin C: 12% of the RDA
- Iron: 11% of the RDA
- Riboflavin (B2): 11% of the RDA
- Vitamin A (from beta-carotene): 9% of the RDA
- Magnesium: 8% of the RDA
Moringa is rich in antioxidants, can lower cholesterol and may also lower blood sugar levels and reduce inflammation.
Moringa is also fast growing reaching heights up to 40ft. Growing best in zones 9 and 10.